I discussed ADI (Agreements, Disagreements and Irrelevant) in a past post. An ADI helps you save time by concentrating on dis-agreements and ignoring irrelevant things. Here is an example of ADI application.
Situation: Government wants to impose a new tax to help people affected with floods. Majority of people/businesses are opposing it:
- Affected people need help for which government needs more money.
- Trades/manufacturers will make things expensive citing this tax as justification.
- Tax will add another layer to an already complicated tax system.
- Tax percentage is very small.
- Affected people need to be helped as soon as possible so that they get shelter before winter sets in and can start cultivating their land.
- Money will be used honestly.
- How long this tax needs to be imposed.
- There should be a new neutral body to collect and utilize this tax amount in a transparent manner.
- People are already voluntarily contributing so no need to impose a new tax.
- What should be the income threshold to impose this tax.
- Government did not take precautionary measures to forewarn people about floods.
- A neighboring country did not impose this tax in a similar situation few years go.
- The political party running the government is the one you vigorously oppose.
- President/Prime minister should curtail their foreign visits.
- A government official has been jailed recently on corruption charges.
- President did not contribute a lot of money from his pocket.
- You have already voluntarily contributed one month salary.
Do your own ADI on this or another situation and share the outcome.